1. In a medium bowl, add ground pork, shrimp, mushroom, sugar, salt, white pepper, whites of scallion, ginger, and shaoxing wine.
2. Mix until combined.
3. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until ready to be used.
4. With your hands curled into the letter “C” formation, place a wonton wrapper on top.
5. Add a tablespoon of Siu Mai filling in the middle of the wonton wrapper.
6. Press the middle of the filling with your thumb, while forming the wonton in a cupping motion.
7. Brush the edges of the wonton wrapper with water and fold down any excess wonton wrappers on the side.
8. In a small pan, boil the water.
9. Place a 6-inch bamboo steam basket on top of the pan.
10. Place four zucchini slices onto the basket, equidistant apart.
11. Place the Siu Mai on top of the zucchini.
12. Place 1/8 teaspoon of minced carrots on top of the Siu Mai. This step is optional.
13. Cover and steam for 8 minutes on medium heat, or until cooked.
14. Let it cool for 3 minutes, before serving.
Siu Mai Filling
1 pound ground pork
1/2 pound shrimp, finely chopped
6 Shiitake mushroom, chopped
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp whites of scallion, finely chopped
1/2-inch ginger, minced
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tbsp water
excess water, to steam
1/4 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 tbsp carrots, finely minced, optional